During the CREST HIRES orientation, students were introduced to the City College of New York (CCNY) and CREST HIRES program. The students had an opportunity to meet the professors and scientists at CREST and learn about their research projects. The agenda for the orientation, scheduled between June 30th and July 6th, can be found here: 2017 HIRES Program Orientation Agenda.
HIRES Orientation Week Photo Gallery can be found here.
Following are the CREST HIRES presentations from the orientation:
- Shakila Merchant, CREST HIRES Director – Fostering a better Mentor-Mentee Relationship
- Reza Khanbilvardi NOAA-CREST Director, Civil Engineering (Ehsan Najafi) –Relationship Between Climate Indicators and Food Security
- Reza Khanbilvardi NOAA-CREST Director, Civil Engineering (Saman Armal) –FREQUENCY ANALYSIS IN EXTREME RAINFALL EVENTS
- Indrani Pal, – Understanding urban flooding events in the U.S.
- Tarendra Lakhankar, NOAA-CREST Research Scientist (Stephany Paredes Mesa ) – Assessment of Lake Water Quality and Quantity using Satellite Remote Sensing
- Maria Tzortziou, Associate Professor, Earth and Atmospheric Science (Owen Parker) –Assessing spatiotemporal variability in air pollution in urban coastal regions
- Tarendra Lakhankar, NOAA-CREST Research Scientist (Adedoja Adeyeye) – Early Detection Methods for Wildfires Using Satellite Remote Sensing
- Tarendra Lakhankar, NOAA-CREST Research Scientist(Deepali Joshi) – Global Food Security Analysis using Satellite Remote Sensing Data
- Naresh Devineni, Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering (Nasser Najibi, Arun Ravindranath) – Critical Infrastructure Management under Floods
- Jimmy Booth, Assistant Professor, Earth and Atmospheric Science ( Katie Towey )- A physical and statistical study of trends in weather variability
- Paul Alabi, Data Mining Manager, NOAA CREST – Earth Observation and Monitoring using Satellites
- Brian Vant Hull, CREST Research Scientist and Jose Pillich, NOAA CREST Research Assistant
- Prathap Ramamurthy, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- Alex Gilerson, Professor, Electrical Engineering – Remote Sensing of the Ocean and Coastal Waters
- Michael Grossberg, Associate Professor, Computer Science
- Nir Krakauer, Associate Professor, Civil Engineering
- Sam Ahmed, Professor of Electrical Engineering (Ahmed El-habashi) – Halmful Algae Blooms