Join us for CUNY Summer STEM Research Symposium 2016 on August 09th, 2016 at The City College of New York (CCNY).
HIRES is the High School Initiative in Remote Sensing of the Earth Systems Science and Technology
HIRES is a program within the CREST CUNY Institute which offers high school students an opportunity to work closely with scientists in the field and in labs, collect and analyze data, present at conferences, and more! It’s aim is to provide NYC high school student research experience especially in STEM
We leverage our connections and resources to increase student recruitment, share experiences and expertise, and identify specific opportunities, challenges, and strategies for effectively supporting students in developing science research skills and competencies. We also jointly develop and implement a set of experiences to support students in developing a shared community and college and career readiness.
HIRES is part of the Consortium of the Science Research Mentoring Programs (studentresearchnyc.org) funded by the Pinkerton Foundation.
HIRES focuses on STEM education which is an increasingly important part of the today’s workforce and economy. HIRES provides and encourages high-quality science and technology activities and initiatives in after-school programs.
In the Consortium’s first year (2014), more than 150 high students from 68 high schools mentors worked with nearly 80 faculty, post-doctoral and graduate student on authentic research projects across 20 disciplines. In the upcoming years, our programs will serve a greater number of students in additional program locations, engaging new mentors and increasing the Consortium’s ability to impact STEM interested students in New York City.
The Consortium of Science Research Mentoring Programs currently consists of member institutions:
- HIRES | CUNY CREST Institute, The City College of New York
- The American Museum of Natural History
- The Center for Excellence in Youth Education of the Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
- Columbia University Zuckerman Institute
- Columbia University Earth Institute – Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory
- Urban Barcode Research Program, DNA Learning Center, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- CUNY College Now (on 5 campuses)
- NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering
- Rockaway Waterfront Alliance
- Rockefeller University
- Wave Hill (WERM)