HIRES is the High School Initiative in Remote Sensing of the Earth Systems Engineering and Sciences
HIRES is a program within the CREST CUNY Institute which offers high school students an opportunity to work closely with scientists in the field and in labs, collect and analyze data, present at conferences, and more! It’s aim is to provide NYC high school student research experience especially in STEM
We leverage our connections and resources to increase student recruitment, share experiences and expertise, and identify specific opportunities, challenges, and strategies for effectively supporting students in developing science research skills and competencies. We also jointly develop and implement a set of experiences to support students in developing a shared community and college and career readiness.
HIRES focuses on STEM education which is an increasingly important part of the today’s workforce and economy. HIRES provides and encourages high-quality science and technology activities and initiatives in after-school programs.
In the Consortium’s first year (2014), more than 150 high students from 68 high schools mentors worked with nearly 80 faculty, post-doctoral and graduate student on authentic research projects across 20 disciplines. In the upcoming years, our programs will serve a greater number of students in additional program locations, engaging new mentors and increasing the Consortium’s ability to impact STEM interested students in New York City.
The NYC Science Research Mentoring Consortium currently consists of following member institutions:
- High School Initiative in Remote Sensing of the Earth Systems Science & Engineering (HIRES) at National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) – Cooperative REmote Sensing Science and Technology (CREST) Center, CUNY
- Applied Research Innovation in Science & Engineering (ARISE) at NYU Tandem School of Engineering
- Brain Research Apprenticeships in NY at Columbia University Mind, Brain & Behavior Initiative (BRAINYAC)
- Center for Excellence in Youth Education at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with Lloyd Sherman Scholars & Eagle Academy Foundation
- CUNY College Now STEM Research Academy at Brooklyn College
- CUNY College Now STEM Research Academy at City College of NY
- CUNY College Now STEM Research Academy at Lehman College
- CUNY College Now STEM Research Academy at Queens College
- CUNY College Now STEM Research Academy at York College
- Environmentor Program with Rockaway Waterfront Alliance
- HypotheKids at Columbia University
- HypotheKids at Harlem BioSpace
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University Earth Institute, NYC
- Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University Earth Institute, Upstate NY
- Learning at the Bench (LAB) Initiative at Rockefeller University
- Science Research Mentoring Program (SRMP) at American Museum of Natural History